Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 77

Thread: Appalachia reinforcements?

  1. #61
    Inactive Member imported_brettc's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 27th, 2007
    Posts
    267
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Appalachia reinforcements?

    I personally have never seen appalachia play but I can say it takes an exceptional team with size to run the T formation nowadays those teams dont come along very often and may never come to appalachia again (no offense intended) today kids are bigger and faster making it hard to run a "3yards and a cloud of dust" offense spread things out a little and throw the ball a little im not saying I would switch to the spread but a 2 WR splitbacks offense sounds like the perfect thing for appy

    I think for appalachia to be successful in the future they are going to have to change but thats just my opnion and im really not very informed on the appalachia program

  2. #62
    Inactive Member gchsajs's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2006
    Posts
    1,118
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Appalachia reinforcements?

    GC still runs the T a bit.
    [url="http://avatars.jurko.net"][img]http://avatars.jurko.net/uploads/avatar_17434.gif[/img][/url]

  3. #63
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Appalachia reinforcements?

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuds</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotSoSilentBob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

    Well I just lost a metric [censored] load of respect for Turner. </div></div>
    Oh no, the entire town won't be able.....well nobody really cares what anyone else thinks. </div></div>

    Yeah, I heard the town just shut down when they learned of my comments.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  4. #64
    Inactive Member imported_brettc's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 27th, 2007
    Posts
    267
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Appalachia reinforcements?

    yeah GC runs T power I an a few other things but they have the size and a great RB

  5. #65
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Appalachia reinforcements?

    I don't know that I would say that. I believe two of GC's lineman are under 180 pounds. At least going be the papers notes on who the starters are.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  6. #66
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Appalachia reinforcements?

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redtiger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally have never seen appalachia play but I can say it takes an exceptional team with size to run the T formation nowadays those teams dont come along very often and may never come to appalachia again (no offense intended) today kids are bigger and faster making it hard to run a "3yards and a cloud of dust" offense spread things out a little and throw the ball a little im not saying I would switch to the spread but a 2 WR splitbacks offense sounds like the perfect thing for appy

    I think for appalachia to be successful in the future they are going to have to change but thats just my opnion and im really not very informed on the appalachia program </div></div>
    The thing about it is that Tom's version goes to about 40 plays out of that Tee. And the double team blocks work better , Appy has had several fairly good teams that didn't have big linemen. However, without Turner and his brand of coaching it might be time to look at a new style of play. I'm not a coach, couldn't coach. I have seen this group of seniors play and they ran Tom's offense very well.

  7. #67
    Inactive Member imported_brettc's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 27th, 2007
    Posts
    267
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Appalachia reinforcements?

    very true sometimes an exceptional coach can make something work while another good coach cannot make his offense work

    there are other ways to play "appalachia" football with an attack that maybe suits appys players

    two of GCs linemen may be smaller than 180 lbs but how big are the others and look at the size of the TEs I just dont think year in year out many of the smaller schools in this area can run a strictly smashmouth style of offense even GC runs some 4 wide

  8. #68
    Inactive Member gchsajs's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2006
    Posts
    1,118
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Appalachia reinforcements?

    Ryan Pope is the only one under 200 actually, he is 5'11 180 the younger brother of Jon Pope (73) for 04-06 teams.

    The rest are Seth Musik 5'9 210 ish, Brad Brown 6'220ish, Aron Stokes 5'10 250ish, and Ty Fraizer 6'3 270ish, with 6'4 280 Jones boy shareing snaps. Over-all a pretty good sized bunch of guys, more than anything though they come off the ball.

    *don't hold me to those weights/heights, I may be wrong give or take a couple pounds/inches.

    Our back fields weight/heighth is misleading, our backs are very strong and tough.
    [url="http://avatars.jurko.net"][img]http://avatars.jurko.net/uploads/avatar_17434.gif[/img][/url]

  9. #69
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Appalachia reinforcements?

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redtiger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">very true sometimes an exceptional coach can make something work while another good coach cannot make his offense work

    there are other ways to play "appalachia" football with an attack that maybe suits appys players

    two of GCs linemen may be smaller than 180 lbs but how big are the others and look at the size of the TEs I just dont think year in year out many of the smaller schools in this area can run a strictly smashmouth style of offense even GC runs some 4 wide </div></div>
    Wellll...it worked for ...1980 to 2005, excepting 3 or 4 seasons. You are talking about a school with 200 kids, 10 percent of the total male population is on the field for every play on Friday nights. It's been a while, but several state rings. Think about that. Like I said I'm not a coach, but the thing lends itself to double team blocks to make up for the size. It is a moot point. Most folks don't realize what Tom did.

  10. #70
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Appalachia reinforcements?

    Smaller offensive linemen have to play lower and then they perform like big ol linemen. One of the reasons teams don't seem to run block as well is that they are coached to use their hands instead of throwing a forearm and driving their feet. IMO that is the worst technique that can be pushed on undersized lineman...but nowdays it's pushed on everyone.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •